Friday, July 20, 2007

Journal: Friends' Day

Today is the Friends's Day. We conmemorate our good friendships by meeting with the people involved in them. We gather all together with the friends of all our entiry life. Some of us celebrate this day by visiting each friend they have but some others choose among the people they know the ones who are closest to them. There's people who share meels in restaurants or at home in orther to celebrate and many others share just a couple of drinks in a bar. Some friends spend the whole day together by doing all the activities they are supposed to do in company of their friends.
Doing a sort of special activity such as going to the cinema or the park is traditional when the 20 of July arrives. Within the agenda of every person, especially young people, there's at least one activity for today that involves spending time with friends. We adore friendship.
But what about if all your friends are far away? I am 1200 km more or least far way from my province, where all my friends are today. And I will think about them today. I will miss them.
Sometimes, when I'm in Buenos Aires (province which I visit quite regularly) I feel like if I am rehersing for my future life. Because this is what is going to be like when I finally move here. I am going to be far. I'm am not going to be able, for example, to plan acitivities with my friends for a day like this one. But I don't feel sad because of this, it is just that I'm experiencing the situation in advance. And I think this is beneficial in a way. Because I will have the chance to make a final decision before coming here definitelly, and I will already have some experience in what to reflect on in orther to decide.
For the time being, I accept this and I take it just like it comes. Because this is what I really want to do. But I know there are going to be hard times for me. Particularly during this kind of celebrations, when the only way to satisfy my necessity of my friends is by a phone call. And not a long one because I don't have too much money for it!
I think today about the distance and what does it do to us and to our relationships. Once I read something like "distance strengthen friendships". And it is a paradox the way in which this comes up to be truth. Being far away I feel close to some people who are not near me, physically speaking.
I am going to spend this day with one of my best friends, who is actually here with me and who is at the same time the love of my life. And I'm going to think about the friends who wait for me in Tucuman, for whom I wish the best.

No comments: