Saturday, June 16, 2007

Journal: An awful experience.

Some weeks ago I had the worst trip of my entire life. I was coming back from Buenos Aires by bus and I had an awful experience.
We left the bus station at 8 o'clock in the evening. At the beginning everything seemed to be ok. And the trip continued in that way until more or less 2 am. As I am a person who doesn't have too much troubles to sleep while travelling, I was completely asleep by that time. But the bus had stopped and this situation woke me up. I noticed then, that we were at some kind of garage. I took a look outside the bus and I saw the drivers and some other men checking the bus engine. I assumed that the bus had had some technical problem and that we were there waiting for assistance. I was right. And more than an hour later, we continued travelling. I went on sleeping till the breakfast stop, which took place at some town in the province of Santa Fe. While having a coffee I noticed that we had stopped for breakfast quite late in comparision to the usual time at whichh buses generally stop. The reason for the delay was that the technical problem that our bus had during night obliged it to go slow. And we were told that we were going to continue travelling at the same slow speed, for what the time of arrival to Tucuman was going to be shift from 10 am to 12. In my case, there was no reason to worry. I had a nice book to read and the delay wouldn´t cause me any trouble.
But same hours later, the whole situation changed dramatically. The bus broke down again, and this time in the middle of nowhere. All the passengers were asked to get down of it and to wait for another bus that would carry us to Santiago del Estero's bus station. The wait for the bus took an hour and a half. The weather was really cold and the fact that the delay was going to be innevitably longer started to upset me.
Finally, we were picked up on an urban bus, which was not allowed to travel long distances. That was why, we had to wait for a third bus in Santiago!!! Of course, this wait took an hour and a half more. In between, there was lunch time. Lucky of me that I got some pocket money with which I bought a sandwich at the bus station. In my opinion, lunch should have been provided by the bus company. Because most passengers imagined that by lunch time we were supposed to be already in Tucuman. Anyway, I didn't expect too much from the bus company...personally I believe that they do not assumed their responsibilities when being involved in this kind of situations.
The third bus finally arrived and we all desperately went on it. We travelled without stopping again to Tucuman at where we arrived nearly 6 o'clock in the afternoon.
I regret a lot for having bought my tickets to the bus company by which I travelled. A trip that usually lasts 16 hours ended up to last more or less 24 hours. I think next time I will take the train by which te trip takes the same time of this awful experience and by which the tickects cost half price.

No comments: