Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Expectations

As a prospective teacher of English, I have been recently thinking about my expectations. Days ago a teacher asked me what do I expect for the future, and I realized then, that I have never asked that question before to myself in a profound way. And that situation was what encouraged me to think about it.
The firts conclusion which I arrive at, is the fact that I would like to prefer to teach in public schools rather than in private ones. The only reason for this preference is the reality which those children from public schools live. The vast mayority of them come from poor backgrounds, and to have less money than other children may trigger in them the thought that they may have less opportunities as well. Less opportunities to learn a second language, and therefore, less opportunities to use English to get a good job in their future. Eventhough this may be a common thought, I do not agree with it. And I want to teach them, so as to do somenthing to counteract that feeling of being inferior that they may have.
I also have expectations which go beyond the tecahing of English Language, and they are related to the attitudinal aspects of the teaching profession. I want my future students to learn more than just a subject. As a tecaher, I consider myself also encharged of teaching students how to behave correctly and how to respect each other. I want them to learn about their rights and responsibilities. About their roles in society and in their families. To sum up, I want not only to create good students but also good people.
A third expectation that I have, is inevitably to have a good job. I want to have the posiibility to earn my living through this profession. I know that this would depend on hard work, especially in our province, or let say, in our country. Our Educational System has many failures actually, and this extends even to the budget that the National Government administres for this area. As I pretend to work in public shools, and, as it is said, "to be part of the sysytem, I know that this means to work the whole day long. Anyway, I would not left asside the opportunity to work in the private area, if it is necessary, which wil probably be the case.
So, to form children as students and as persons an to live by doing that are the expectation I have for my future as teacher of English.

1 comment:

Raquel Soria said...

hey nice entry, it seems to be that Mrs.Salinas has triggered lot of thoughts about our future expectations, anyway, cya in class