Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Violence and Schools

For the first time in my life, I have a doubt about my career. It is not that I'm not sure about my profession, because I really want to become a teacher, but I have a certain feeling of fear everytime I hear or read about violence at schools.
I have already gained some little experience in classromm. I have taught to secondary school students and also to children from the kinder garten. And I took the best out from those experiences. I really had a good time and I've also learned a lot about the pedagogical aspects of the teaching profession.
I know I have a long way to go yet. And there's a lot more I need to learn. The fact is that I really want to keep going through this road I've chosen and till now, there has been nothing at all that makes me doubt, except for the violence issue.
Last year, one of my students started to fight on day, while we were in class. The episode was really traumatic for me, eventhough it didn't end up in nothing serious. And I have recently read some articles related to the topic which shocked me a lot. This contributed to the feeling of insecurity that is affecting me.
I feel unprotected when I imagine myself in the classroom. That a student may take out a gun, is a permanent association I make everytime I think about teaching. I should find the way to manage this fear because I don't want to let it interfere with my plans for the future.

No comments: