Saturday, April 28, 2007

Journal: What I avoid doing more than anything and why?

I always try to avoid talking about certain topics like religion or politics. This is so, because I think it's quite difficult not getting involved in argumments that may possibly develop into fights. Discussing about politics, in my opinion, is something that anybody dares to do. I understand that, but I can't bear those who firmily discus something without having any background information about it. I, for sure, do not know about every topic in the world; but I do realized when somebody is a perfect ignorant about something, and discuses the topic eventhough. With only just a little information, picked up from the newspapers, the radio or the television, anyone can become a perfect conversationalist of something, for example politics, as this situation would make the theme a current topic of discussion. But, for me, you are only allowed to start talking about any topic, if you , in fact, have that little information.
As regarding religion, the whole thing can go beyond. Because it is more common that all of us have a religion orientation than a political one. And that makes this topic more likely to be discuss by anyone, than politics. Another issue related to religion discussions has to do with the preference for certain denominations and no other.This can make people end up looking as real fanatics. I really hate when I meet with people like that. When I realize that any discussion is at the point of develop, with a religion fan, I prefer to shut up and avoid doing any sort of commets. The fact is, that you don't need to go to any church to find yourself with those characters. You can find them in your house, within your relatives and friends, among the neighbours, it can be the taxi driver, anyone!. It is really tedious to talk with this sort of people because they always try to dominate the conversation. And, this is why I avoid discussing trivial topics. Because I always find myself unnable to speak up and to express my point of view as I am not allowed to. And those chats, always turn aimlessly, the conversation generally goes nowhere and people end up fighting instead of sharing thoughts and opinions.
Anyway, politics and religion seem to be perfect conversation pieces. These issues always attract people's attention and they make people start talking about them. When this occurs to me, I tend to give neutral opinions. If I am asked something related to those topics, I try to answer only yes or no, without giving longer opinions. I find this attitude a safe one that helps me to avoid talking about something that is not interesting to me.

No comments: